Monday, December 25, 2023

From Climbing Pods to Beans and Rice

 I wanted to share my success this year with black beans which are from my country Puerto Rico. These beans are very good for very hot climates and work great here. I have only planted them 2 times but last year I added more. I'm still trying growing them up by myself here in my backyard but I'm still learning on how much spacing or how many each should normally produce. This year the weather has hit us quite different and the recent cold has stunted the grow or so i though. It has been weird because I had noticed that it also grew new pods very quickly at some times and when the weather felt normal and quite hot that's when this year they had been stunted. I need to study more for sure. I harvested several pods maybe 10 and my bf peeled the beans from the skin, and put them to soak in water for 8-12 hours. I completely forgot to share a photo of the pods but here are some of my current ones that I just harvested, perfect for thanksgiving.


 At first we were going to serve them to my family who came to visit for thanksgiving but since they're so many and it's only 10 pods which was in total like I don't know.. 50 beans? sort off, we decided to keep them for ourselves. We grew them, and were going to see more of the value than anybody else even my family. For thanksgiving my boyfriend made our typical rice with black beans which is a must in all of ours holidays, and added to it. They were delicious, I'm not sure If I can for certainty say they taste better than the supermarket ones or if its in my imagination but all I can say is that it felt so nice to eat something with a vegetable you grew in your own garden? Have you grow black beans? let me know in the comments :)



4 comments:

  1. Hi Miwako/Mariella, it's "mori no kinoko" from youtube, that sometimes writes on your videos, the one who lives abroad in Japan and I talked to you about mori fashion and samansa mos and talked about your clothes, I read about your mom's passing on instagram, and I am sorry about your loss 😩 I also loss my mom at a too young of age also 😔 My mom passed away unexpectedly and we didn't expect it 😔 she died in 2019 in my favorite season of autumn, and just like you how you live abroad from your family, the same for me too, since my family is in the U.S. and I live in Japan. It's one of the worst news you can get living in a different country I totally know how you feel😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the late reply. i appreciate your comments. i read them all. <3

      Delete
  2. Marianela* sorry I forgot to proof read for mispellings on my comment and noticed I mispelled your name*

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I mispelled my username too, I meant "mori kinoko" (not mori no kinoko)

    ReplyDelete

Getting rid of STUFF is HARD

     Here I am today deciding when and what to keep. you see, my close is very small. well.. my whole room it is small. some people might th...